Teaching in a Paperless Classroom

Last fall, I taught one of the library’s three-credit courses again. I decided to teach it in a way that would use as little paper as possible by using a combination of Google Docs, WordPress, and LibGuides. I have been meaning to write about this for months now. This morning, I did a presentation at the Teaching and Technology Conference here at Baruch College at which I spoke about my little experiment. I’m presenting my slides here as a way of sharing how it worked out for me. When I prepared my slides in PowerPoint, I typed out a script for what I would say in the notes for the slides; if you download the PowerPoint or PDF version of my slides, you’ll be see what it was that I had intended to write as a lengthy post on this blog. If you just want to take a spin through the slides, you can find them embedded below.

Leaving Posterous and Going Back to WordPress

As of today, I’ve ported over copies of all my blog posts from Beating the Bounds on the hosted service on Posterous to my personal domain at stephenfrancoeur.com where I use WordPress. The new address will be:

http://www.stephenfrancoeur.com/beatingthebounds/

I’m going to leave the Posterous site up for a while (maybe forever), but all posts after this one will exclusively be found at the new address. The URL for the RSS feed is still the same, so you shouldn’t need to change anything in your feed reader (all 40 of you).

Getting Under the Hood with WordPress

With the advice of a colleague here at Baruch College, Luke Waltzer, I’ve been able to set up a second installation of WordPress that gives my main website at stephenfrancoeur.com a series of static pages themed to look like my main blog, Digital Reference (which is my first WordPress installation). It took a bit of fooling around to get this second WordPress install to have a blog address at my root site (stephenfrancoeur.com), but these instructions from the WordPress codex that I used worked with few problems.

I tried to set up pretty permalinks for the static pages, but that got all bollocksed up, so for now I’ve got some ugly URLs. I also need to do more work with the WordPress files to strip out the remaining blog-like elements from the static pages; what I want are pages that look like web pages, not jury-rigged blog posts.